Monday, March 10, 2008

Going Greek-chicken pitas

So, as I have stated before, I am always all about fast, easy, and healthy. I just can't seem to find the time to cook with an 18 month old and a 4 year old (I know some of you have more kids than that, and I constantly wonder how you do it). :) This is a "to taste" recipe...in other words, season how you like it!

Pita Bread (I buy whole wheat, but you can buy whatever kind)
chicken breasts-seasoned and grilled
tomatoes
cucumbers
red onion
chopped lettuce

Cut up the tomatoes, cucumbers, and red onion for the pita. After the chicken is grilled, cut into slices. I warm the pitas, then add the chicken, tomatoes, cucumbers, and lettuce. I top it off with tzaziki(I know I probably spelled that wrong) sauce and hummus.

Tzaziki Sauce: (my own made-up recipe...once again everything "to taste")
garlic cloves-finely chopped
garlic powder
chopped cucumber (about 1/4 cup)
dried dill (can use fresh too)
salt
pepper
plain yogurt (can use low-fat/no fat)
lemon juice

Mix all the above ingredients to taste...we like ours super garlicky, so I use several cloves and teaspoons of garlic.

Hummus:
1 can chick peas slightly drained
lemon juice
garlic cloves
salt
pepper
garlic powder (optional)
Olive oil

Place all ingredients in a blender, magic bullet, or processor, and blend until smooth. Add olive oil either to blend if you choose, or a TBLS or so on top as you serve it.

This is my made up version of going Greek! If you are truly Greek and know better options, please post...we just love going out for Greek food and truly can't afford to do it all the time, so this is our fresh option for second place.

No comments: