Thursday, March 20, 2008

Turkey Meatloaf - Ellie Krieger

I just bought her new cookbook and so far it's really great, I've posted a couple of recipes so far (chicken w/ balsamic and chicken tenders). Everything is really healthy and delicious. The ingredients may seem a little strange but it was very good, I think I'll use this recipe from now on because it's much healthier. Enjoy!

3/4 cup(s) oats, rolled, quick cooking
1/2 cup(s) milk, fat-free
2 pounds turkey, ground
1 medium onion(s), peeled
1/2 cup(s) pepper(s), red, bell, seeded and chopped
2 large egg(s), beaten
2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup(s) ketchup
1/2 teaspoon salt
pepper, black, freshly ground
8 ounce(s) tomato sauce, low sodium

Preparation
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
In a small bowl, stir together the oats and milk and allow to soak while you get the rest of the ingredients together, at least 3 minutes.
Thinly slice one-quarter of the onion into rings and set aside. Finely chop the rest of the onion. In a large bowl, combine the turkey, oatmeal mixture, chopped onion, bell pepper, eggs, Worcestershire, ketchup, salt, and a few grinds of pepper. Mix just until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a 9 x 13-inch baking dish and shape into a loaf about 5 inches wide and 2 inches high. Pour the tomato sauce over the meatloaf and sprinkle with the sliced onions. Bake until an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part registers 160 degrees, about 1 hour.
Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 to 15 minutes before slicing.

No comments: