Monday, February 18, 2008

chicken and broccoli braid







Chicken and Broccoli Braid

2 cups cooked chicken cubed
1 cup broccoli chopped
½ cup red bell pepper chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed
1 cup cheddar cheese shredded
½ cup mayonnaise
2 teaspoons dill weed
¼ teaspoon salt (optional)
2 packages 8 oz. refrigerated crescent rolls
1 egg whit slightly beaten
2 Tblspn slivered almonds (optional)

Preheat oven 375. Mix first 8 ingredients together. Roll out both packages of rolls flat on Jelly roll pan. On longest side of pan, cut dough into strips 1 ½ apart, 3 inches deep. Spread filling down middle of rolls. To braid, lift strips of dough across mixture to meet in the center, twisting each strip one turn. Continue alternating strips to form a braid. Brush egg whites over dough. Sprinkle with almonds. Bake 25-28 minutes or until deep golden brown.
10 servings

Okay, so I know it sounds difficult. I thought so too when I first read the directions, but it is quite simple after the first time. I did not make this recipe for awhile, but now it is on the monthly calendar of meals. My kids love the rolls and sometimes they even eat broccoli. some variations i do due to my pantry are: I rarely if ever use the salt, or red peppers. You don't need to do the egg whites if I need to save time I skip that step. It just keeps the top from browning to quickly. sometimes I use almonds, just depends if I have them or not.

7 comments:

Nicole H. said...

Ok I know this is corny but can you take pictures next time you make it? Something that would have shown you how easy it was before you made it?

Nicole H. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
EmEaster said...

I thought about that last night. There is a picture tutorial in the book I can post on the page. I will do that tonight. No worries. My friend would not make it till I showed her how. we did so with 5 kiddos 3 and under underfoot.

ToshaluvsChandler said...

this sounds so good! I am gonna need a picture though. Call me an idiot but i am gonna have to see the braiding before i attempt it.lol I think my son would love this though. He's picky but bread and chicken is right up his alley!

EmEaster said...

It is not the greatest picture. I hope it helps. If not let me know and I will try something else.

ToshaluvsChandler said...

actually i think i got it now! Thanks for the pic.

Nicole H. said...

Has anyone been brave and tried this? I really want to before I go back on South Beach.