Friday, February 29, 2008

Mrs. Kostyra's Meatloaf (Martha Stewart's Mom)

Let me preface this by saying that I always hated meatloaf (sorry Mom) until I tried this recipe. It's really easy and is even better left over. It says 8-10 servings but I would say 6-8.
  • 4 Slices of white bread torn into pieces
  • 2-1/2 lbs. ground beef (you can use 3 mix too - pork, beef, veal)
  • 1 medium yellow onion, cut into quarters
  • 2 cloves of garlic (*I omit the garlic because it was very overpowering to me)
  • 2 stalks celery, cut into pieces
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 2" pieces
  • 1/2 C flat leaf parsley
  • 1 Lrg. Egg
  • 1 C Ketchup
  • 3 tsp. dry mustard (I omitted since I didn't have on hand)
  • 1 Tbsp. Coarse salt
  • 2 tsp. black pepper
  • 2 Tbsp. brown sugar

  1. Heat the oven to 375 degrees. Place the bread in the bowl of a food processor and pulse into fine crumbs. Transfer to a medium bowl and add ground beef.
  2. Place onion, garlic, celery, carrots and parsley in food processor and pulse until fine. Add to meat mixture, using hands to mix well. Add egg, 1/2 C ketchup, 2 tsp. dry mustard, salt and pepper, use hands to combine thoroughly. Place in an 8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 loaf pan. (if you don't have a loaf pan, you can put it in a corningwear or glass dish and mold into a loaf.
  3. Combine remaining 1/2 C ketchup, remaining tsp. dry mustard, and brown sugar in a bowl, stir until smooth.
  4. Brush mixture over meatloaf; place in oven with a baking dish below to catch any drippings (if using a loaf pan). Cook approx. 90 minutes or until meat reaches 160 degrees. If the top gets too dark, cover with foil and continue baking.

3 comments:

Becca said...

This is the BEST meatloaf ever!!

PCox said...

I am so glad you commented on how you didn't really ever like meatloaf. I am in the same boat, but since your comment I will definitely try this one. Do you think it'll be okay with ground turkey? Thanks for all the recipes! Bec says you're an awesome cook so I've been waiting and waiting and waiting. And WOW!! You've made your debut. THANKS!!!!

Meghan said...

Hi Pam,

I was going to try it with turkey too, I'm sure it would be fine. That's very nice of Becca to say, but I think I've been lucky with the recipes I pick and most of them have been fool proof. I'm trying a new Chili recipe this weekend, if it's a keeper I'll post it. This is a great site, thanks for inviting me to join. I look forward to trying the recipes.