Sunday, February 24, 2008

Crockpot Cabbage Rolls

Even my kids eat this- I do add more rice and less meat, I probably use only 1 1/2 lbs of ground beef instead of 2 and 1 cup of cooked rice- we just like it better that way. I know the cinnamon sounds like it doesn't belong, but it just isn't the same if you leave it out.
I have hidden shredded carrots in them to add even more veggies. Shhhhhh- That Jessica Seinfeld has nothin' on me :)

The broth made is so yummy make sure you have a nice hearty bread to go with!



2 lbs. ground beef
3/4 c. cooked rice
1 lg. egg
1 onion, chopped fine
1/2 tsp. each salt & pepper
1 large head of cabbage
1 can condensed tomato soup
1 can tomatoes - diced, stewed- use what you have.
1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon (I usually add a little more)
salt and pepper to taste

Remove leaves from head of cabbage try to keep them whole. Try to get 8-10 whole leaves. Scald them in boiling salt water just long enough to wilt. Set on paper towels to cool. Prepare meat mixture in a large bowl; add rice, onion, egg, salt and pepper; mix well. Place about 1/4 cup meat mixture in center of each leaf- fold in sides and roll ends over meat; secure with wooden toothpicks. Place in Crock Pot. Combine tomato soup, tomatoes, cinnamon, salt, and pepper; pour over cabbage rolls. Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
Serves 6 to 8.

2 comments:

Nicole H. said...

Ok you have SUPER picky kids and they eat these? We're gonna have to make these together some night soon. They sound yummy.

Diane Galarza said...

They think it's lettuce and since cabbage has a sweet taste- they like it. Curly just likes an extra side of rice, so I always leave some on the side. There is always extra yummy sauce to pour over it.